Sleeve Gastrectomy is a surgery for weight loss. This surgery facilitates the weight loss by restricting the amount of food eaten before relieving of the hunger. In this surgery, the size of the stomach is reduced by 25% amount of the initial size. It is done by removing a large part of the stomach during the surgery and then reshaping the rest of the stomach in a sleeve like structure. This surgery is performed laparoscopically, therefore it gives a permanent reduction in the size of the stomach and it’s not reversible. This is a very popular choice for weight loss among the patients when compared to the gastric bypass surgery.
Benefits in terms of fast weight loss
Since the stomach portion is smaller, during food intake, patients get saturated quite sooner than they used to before the surgery. That allows the patient to feel ‘full stomach’ for a longer period of time, therefore a patient eats less every time. This will allow them to experience a significant weight loss immediately. However, a patient has to get used to new eating habits and thoroughly follow it after the surgery, if they want the weight loss to be long term.
Other than this direct benefit, there are a number of more benefits from a sleeve gastrectomy surgery for weight loss.
- The new shape formed during the surgery facilitates better regulation of the food that is consumed.
- Surgery removes the part of the stomach which produces hunger stimulant hormones called Ghrelin, therefore patient becomes less susceptible to appetite.
- Although the size of the stomach is reduced, it is still capable to function in the regular manner. Therefore, all usual types of food can be consumed without harm, but in lesser quantities.
- There is a minimal chance of ulcers.
- The surgery is considered very effective as an initial treatment to those who are diagnosed with high BMI.
- Since this is a restrictive type of surgery, the food absorption procedure is not affected.
However, the most important thing you should note is that Sleeve Gastrectomy is not suitable for everyone who has issues with weight. The decision to go for the surgery needs to be taken upon the proper consultation and supervision of a physician. Depending on your age, weight and other health conditions the consultant will decide whether it’s safe for you to go for Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery.